New year, new you? Here are five writing resolutions to make your business writing pop this year:
1. Read more – especially the work of people whose writing you admire. Figure out why you like it, and apply those principles to your own.
2. Never write without your reader in mind – whether it’s one person in the company, or all of your customers.
3. Replace adjectives and adverbs with strong verbs.
4. Hire an editor to give your important communication a once-over.
5. Keep things simple – plain, clear language always trumps flowery, jargon-filled writing.