It seems strange to be writing one of these posts in 2019, but we need to talk about email etiquette – more specifically, the lack of it.
Email is a ubiquitous part of life in the 21st century, and somehow, we’ve become so used to it, that some of us have forgotten those little niceties that just grease the wheels of society and business in general. So in case you need a reminder:
- Say ‘please’ and ‘thank you’.
- Acknowledge receipt of important work or messages.
- Respond within 24 hours – even if it’s just to say, “I don’t have an answer for you yet, but I’m working on it.”
- Don’t hit ‘reply all’ unless you really need everyone to read your response.
- Keep emails brief and to the point.
- Don’t bombard colleagues with a million emails a day.
- Hold the emojis and text speak – they’re really not professional.
- And hold off on the terms of endearment – ‘babe’, ‘sweetheart’, ‘darling’, etc.
That’s it – apart from a reminder that you catch more flies with honey, than with vinegar. Honey.